Searching Music Materials on Franklin
Use when you want to see what music is held by a particular composer or what recordings are available by a particular artist. This search retrieves all types of materials--scores, recordings, and videos.
- For personal names, enter last name first, then first name. For
orchestras and other ensembles, type in the first few words of the name:
- mozart wolfgang
- gould glenn
- philadelphia orchestra
- Results are organized by author and then alphabetically by title.
Use when you know the exact title of a book, score, or recording. Omit initial articles.
- new oxford history of music
- art of the recorder
Tip: By using the "Quick Limits" beneath the search box, you may limit your search to music scores or sound recordings:
- Select "Music Scores" as a Quick Limit
- Type daphne to search for all scores with a title beginning "daphne"
Punctuation MAY be omitted; the following all produce the same result:
- concertos, harpsichord, no. 1
- concertos harpsichord no. 1
- concertos harpsichord no 1
Author/Title KeywordUse when searching for a work by a prolific composer. Include the composer's last name and a work or two from the title:
- strauss rosenkavalier
- bach kunst fuge
- adams nixon
Uses terms exactly as found in the Library of Congress Subject Headings. Omit punctuation:
- violin and piano music arranged
- ethnic music recordings afghan
- bach johann sebastian
Subject heading keyword
Use when the exact subject heading is not known:
- mozart figaro
- zimbabwe music
- trios clarinet piano violin
Call number search
Enter as much of the call number as you know, including punctuation:
- vic. 10852 cd
- music microfilm 1005
Use to search on a combination of words or phrases. The words and phrases may be selected from any data found in the Franklin record--the author's name, the title, the subject, the publisher, and so forth. There are two types of keyword searches, "Keyword" and "Keyword Expert."
- and is automatically added between the search terms. (If you need to use or or not Boolean operators, use the Keyword Expert search below.)
- Select distinctive words. Example: taruskin history music
- Use ? for truncation Example: sibelius symphon? will retrieve entries containing either "symphony" or "symphonies"
- You may limit your search by using the "Quick Limits" below the search box. (This is a quick way to limit searches to music scores or to sound recordings.) For more options for limiting searches, click the "All Search Limits" button to the right.
- Place quotation marks around words to be searched as a phrase Example: "free jazz" coleman
- Results are ranked according to relevance (determined by a relevancy algorithm)
- Use Boolean operators (and, or, not) between terms (Ex.: rap or "hip hop")
- You may combine Boolean operators, using parentheses to indicate which terms belong together Example: (jazz or blues) and "kansas city"
- must use quotations around phrases
- You may limit a search term to a particular element of the record, such as the author, title, subject, or publisher. Consult the table of Field Codes for a list of possible codes. Example: nkey mozart and tkey giovanni and publ barenreiter to find the Bärenreiter edition of Mozart's Don Giovanni.
Examples of Keyword Expert searches
- Find scores of Mozart's symphony K 504
- Set "Quick Limits" to "Music Scores"
- Search term: nkey mozart and opus 504
- Find vol. 22 of the series Studies in Musicology
- Search term: "studies in musicology" and seri 22
- Find the Dover edition of the full score to Tristan und Isolde
- Search term: nkey wagner and tkey tristan and publ dover
Find New World Records 293
- Search term: publ "new world" and pub# 293
Find all audio and video recordings of Verdi's Aida
- Set "Quick Limits" to "DVD/Videos"
- Search term: tkey aida
Find proceedings of conferences on Mahler
- Search term: conf mahler
find a CD of Haydn's Creation sung in English
- Click the "All Search Limits" button.
- Under "Language:" select "English" and under "Item Type:" select "Musical Sound Recording"
- Search term: tkey creation and nkey haydn and compact
find a vocal score of Tosca with an English translation
- Set "Quick Limits" to "Music Scores"
- Search term: tkey tosca and italian and english and vocal
Note: Use of the language limit can be problematic for scores and recordings since only a single language code is assigned to a catalog record (representing the primary language of the item), but many scores and recordings are multi-lingual. Unless you are searching for a large-scale work in a single language (as in the Creation example above), it is best to include the name of the language in the keyword string rather than limiting to a specific language on the "search limits" screen.